Responsible to the Director Supervision & Compliance for planning, coordinating and implementing the annual work-plan and budget for registration and licensing of retirement benefits schemes and fund managers, including trustees, custodians, actuaries and fund administrators in line with URBRA requirements. In addition, responsible for overseeing the sufficient and effective operation of the workflow process by checking to ensure effective handling and speedy resolution of complaints, accurate scanning and indexing of mail as well as analysis and capture of data/information pertaining to retirement benefits schemes. Other duties include coordinating the maintenance of the registry in order to ensure accurate filing, storage and rapid retrieval of records pertaining to registered and licenced retirement benefits schemes.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual work plan and budget outlining key activities to be undertaken in the registration and licensing work unit.
- Review applications for registration and licensing of retirement benefits schemes and fund managers, including trustees, custodians, actuaries and fund administrators in line with prescribed requirements.
- Review and evaluate trust deeds, deeds of appointment of trustees including contracts between trustees and approved service providers to ensure compliance with prescribed URBRA requirements.
- Develop and implement effective strategies for undertaking a comprehensive verification system aimed at exhaustively detecting false data/information and declarations contained in pension scheme applications in order to recommend deregistration of pension schemes and protect the rights of beneficiaries.
- Assess the professional competencies and qualifications of individual trustees, custodians, actuaries and fund administrators with a view of recommending the registration and licensing of retirement benefits schemes.
- Supervise the operation of the electronic workflow process by checking to ensure accurate scanning and indexing of documents as well as analysis and capture of data/information pertaining to retirement benefit schemes.
- Develop, implement and evaluate an effective complaints and determination system that facilitates timely and professional handling of complaints to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Conduct impact analysis with regard to applications for scheme conversions from provident to pension funds, mergers, transfer of assets, deregistration and winding up of retirement benefit schemes that may generally impact the pension industry.
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of registry staff to classify records and files according to a predetermined coding system in order to facilitate rapid and accurate filing and retrieval of pension schemes records.
- Supervise preparation of monthly returns showing detailed statistics and trends as well as undertaking periodic identifications of completed and finalised records in order to ensure proper archiving.